PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2005, 11:48
BDiONU
Beady Eye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walter Kennedy

Sorry for the lateness of this reply, I've only just seen your post which says
A controller who had seen the recordings, and requested his identity not be revealed, said: 'The Chinook looks like it went more or less straight into the hillside. There was no distress signal. It all points toward some sort of navigational error. The pilot must have misjudged his position. He only needed to be half a mile to one side.'
That is total nonsense. I seen the radar recording, I videotaped it for the BOI, there was no radar track. I dunno who dreamt up the thought that the aircraft had even the remotest possibility of being seen on radar in its position at the height it was at. As I previously stated the nearest radars were on the island of Tiree and on the mainland at Lowther Hill. Both a considerable distance from the crash site and those radars do not look down towards the ground. Not to mention the effects of terrain masking.

Whoever wrote the article in the newspaper was being more than a little economical with the truth.
Please feel free to PM me if you wish to check on my identity and the veracity of the information I've posted in this forum.

BD