PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO Annex 6 Amendment Proposal Flt Ops Officer/Flęght Dispatchers
Old 1st Nov 2005, 11:18
Epsilon minus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FLIGHT SAFETY FLIGHT SAFETY
Dear NoSig,
How's the SE European (nearly europe) weather mate?

Look at the above head lines. Everybody wants safer transportation; the bean counters want it, the CEO's want it, the Lutine bell ringers want it too. But no one wants to pay more for it especially when it looks increasing likely that ultra high DOC's are here to stay. I'm still not convinced.

Most airlines EZY included have schemes that require some form of formal training for Ops officers, DLH KLM have dispatch facilities that mirror FAA systems and highly trained staff. This has been done inspite of the savage ovine regulations that are 1.195 and 1.205 and still we are able to send off our loved ones to far and near places in highly safe conditions.

So why do airlines need to be forced to do something which they are already doing voluntarily?

The standard of safety in commercial aviation continues to maintain very high levels, please explain to me how a regulated system of training for Ops staff will make it safer?

If I read your post correctly the real emphasis for good training lies more with making sound commercial decisions than safety related ones. If the majority of decisions that an Ops officer will make whilst on duty are commercially related and that the quality of judgement is directly proprtional to the training that that person has undergone then the requirement for ICAO JAA EASA to be involved is negated. And the need for airline management to recognise this is compelling.

If as you suggest that airlines are smart enough to recognise the value of proper training for their Ops staff and are pro-actively involved in it, why do they need to be told that they've got to do it?

QED? maybe not. I await responses with interest.
Regards
Epsilon minus