PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circle to Land
Thread: Circle to Land
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2005, 10:14
Sebastian Maguire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Circle to Land

Circle to Land.

I would be grateful for a highly technical explanation on the subject. (assume that I already know the basics)

Some time back we flew into Carcassonne, France (LFMK, Salvaza) on good old Ryanair and I plucked up the courage to ask the Captain about his circle to land approach.
It was the usual Follow the ILS glideslopre down to runway 10 using v/s then break left at the circling minima (1500' w/o Local alt set) before completing the rest of the pattern to land on runway 28.

His explanation at the time was highly detailed as he refered to specific decent rates and speeds but I have unfortunately forgotten them.

Since that time, I have posed the question on many a forum, never to receive a satisfactory answer so I hope some people who have actually flown this approach may be able to assist.

Some replies have been of the "break off left and just keep eyeballing the runway as you pass the threshold bla bla bla" but what that Ryanair captain gave me was quit a technical view of it with all sorts of info.

The Fs2004 simulator using PMDG 737-800's with only one screen and "paralax" errors that prevent you from perfect visual judgement is quite tough to handle during this approach. It's perfecting the right time and distance to turn downwind then base then final at the same time as a smooth decent rate etc.

Some people have suggested that p/f's in the right seat who need the advantage of seeing out that right window and keeping the runway in sight, will get their captains to puch in Runway 28 in the Fmc so as to have the Magenta line arcing for a smooth turn to final. Others have disputed this.

I would be grateful for as many specifics as possible on how to master this approach technically as well as visually. Specifics that include the right time to turn on all phases of the approach, the right way to set up a smooth decent, the right speeds, flap settings and the right distances to keep in mind.

Anyone wanting to say "A visual approach is exactly that so forget about getting to technical" then i've heard it before. Anyone with a mathematical view that involves some interesting trigonometry would be welcome.

Thanks

Sebastian