PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Nigeria (threads merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2005, 06:42
surely not

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LJT your logic defies my obviously limited abilities at comprehension. You state-

'I think the locals at least, are owed salaries that match those of the airlines they left to join VK!'

I don't know of any business, anywhere in the world that sets its salaries according to this statement. So if a long service accountant in USA leaves his job andgoes to work in Sri Lanka, you say he should get the same money as he could earn in USA, despite that being way in excess of the market rate? This then has the effect of destabilising the market in Sri Lanka to the detriment of the people who need toemploy accountants.

Sure a 737 is flown the same anywhere in the world, but pilots are not paid the same in Romania as they are in USA or UK or Nigeria. The reason.............. the economies are different.

Oyindo, re your point re Contract staff and their rates of pay. They get paid a different rate as they are on limited term contracts, not 'jobs for life'. This is the case in all areas of the world. An I.T. contractor will earn more than an employed colleague because they do not have a guarantee of work after the contract finishes. The benefit to the company using them is that they know how long that cost is on the books.