PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electronic Flight Strips
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2005, 19:36
av8boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the disadvantages of the electronic strip as compared to the paper strip is the loss of the clunk when the assistant puts the strip on the strip bay...
Not to mention the sound of the printer going nuts, warning you that your life is about to change...

(As someone who also worked in the "old days) I'd also be curious to learn more about the loss of that tactile connection to the data-- when I write on a strip with a pen I remember it (and I'm old!) Inputting those data digitally doesn't seem to fire-up the brain cells in the same way. Granted, electronic strips are great for coordination, but when it comes to working with what's in front if me my brain still likes paper.

Dave

PS I feel Jerricho's pain... agreed, you can't throw e-strips at passers-by. What's more, on a mid you can't put the bucket on the other side of the room and try to hit it with e-strips. Nobody ever impressed a noob by setting an e-strip on its legs, hitting the end of it and having it land perfectly in somebody else's strip bay. Nobody ever writes "call home when you get a chance" on the back of an e-strip, puts it in a holder and puts it in your bay. Not to mention the knack I've developed for popping a strip out of the holder with my thumb in one loud, easy motion. What the heck am I supposed to do with THAT skill-set? What about security? If a bad guy shows-up am I supposed to hit him with the mouse? Strip holders my friends... accurate and deadly at 60 feet. Oh. And they're really hard to set aflame. Not that I'd know...