PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas 767 diversion
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2005, 15:28
pakeha-boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of monday morning halfbacks here...I would be the first to admit that as the Capt,on occassion have made decisions that could have been better.I dont believe any have been of a safety nature,but in the quiet moments with time to reflect,I could have made a better decision.

This hard and fast policy of complying with company policy/procedures/SOP,unless specifically PROHIBTED and even then,Capts authority takes precedence,is for guidance only.

I cannot believe how the Capts abilty to make decisions/calls has been over the years eroded to the point that we have now become "rote" orientated,what crock of sh@t!!!!.

I totally understand that there are parameters that exist and that we must stay in,I have no problems with that.When I go fly,I fly safe,professionally,and in compliance with all the rules,not everthing is in a "box"

Once again I say:
A superior pilot is one who stays out of trouble,by using his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the use of his superior skills

For those of you who are worried about ending up in the Chief Pilots office,having to explain your decision making process......get another job(not flying)
We are paid and required to be thinkers and decision makers

waitakataka!!!