PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Nigeria (threads merged)
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2005, 10:36
surely not

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not trying to muzzle discussion, and it appears from the general comments that VK is not paying a basic as handsomely as other established carriers. So be it, people have the choice of accepting the offer or rejecting it as per LJT.

What I find tedious is UK based pilots expecting to come back to Nigeria and earn UK comparable wages. This has nothing to do with race, religion, or wanting to see any group of people disadvantaged. I am simply acknowledging that pilots are no different to any other group of workers, you get paid according to 'local' rates not 'International' rates.

I sense that some of the comments are because people thought that just because the Virgin brand was involved the pay levels would be on a par with Western levels and not reflect the local market. Alas VK has to make money because it is a private company and has set its levels to achieve this. As it matures and the routes grow maybe it can adjust its pay levels. I don't know whether this will happen it isn't in my control. If the levels are as wrong as people are posting on here then VK will have to review .them.

There is no way that I believe an African should be restricted to low paid jobs, and my posts in general reflect my enthusiasm for the growth that West Africa could and should achieve.

So LJT plse don't post anymore rubbish about me wishing to oppress anyone, it simply couldn't be further from the truth