PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomsonfly Pilots Is your Airline good to work for?
Old 31st Oct 2005, 09:34
NG708

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, itīs not what you know, itīs who you know!
Well, I always wondered how close to the discrimination laws these applications sailed!

For example I believe it is also illegal to disciminate candidates on the grounds of ethnic origin, whether they are in a union etc.

Yet many UK airlines still ask on their app if you are in a union. I understand from BALPA that they are not legally allowed to ask this question as they may discriminate against you by your answer.

ie - you are in a union, they hate unions, you've no hope!
- You are in a union, don't mention it, they find out, you fail for putting a false answer!

I know this applies to one UK regional that recently had union recognition forced on them by the pilots in the face of great management hostility. BALPA told me they are looking into why they are still asking candidates about union membership.

So asking if you have a 'friend' that can recommend you is along the same lines. If it makes no difference to how they treat your application - and by law in the UK all applications must be treated equally - why bother asking until at the REFERENCE stage. If the company wants a recommendation then this is the stage to pursue it.