PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS arc.
Thread: GPS arc.
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2002, 17:11
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know the approach to which you refer but DME arcs conventionally commence at an IAF. Here's where it gets a bit complex. If the lowest altitude available on the arc is below the MSA you might have to remain at the MSA until turning off the arc. Of course, if there happens to be a DME fix for step down after leaving the arc, you must - at present - use DME, not GPS, so the whole idea of using GPS in he approach becomes a bit pointless.

As a slight modification to the above, however, if the arc - or the portion of it that you need to use - is contained within the step of a sector DME/GPS Arrival, you can maneouvre as if still using the Arrival. But, from there on, further descent can only be on the basis of a DME/GPS Arrival. Now, if that brings you down to circling MDA, I'd have to say it would be more efficient to come straight in on the arrival.

If you need the straight-in MDA, any descent steps involved can only be used by reference to DME. So, all in all, I'd have to say that the answer to your question is no, even if only for purely practical considerations.