PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do BA Cabin Crew pull their weight?
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2005, 09:44
backseatjock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is all so variable, at the moment. When good it is very good, but sadly the indifferent seems to be on the increase again at BA. With the continued lack of catering on most s/h, it is interesting to see how different crews react.

The good, sadly in the minority from my experience, will do their best to make up for the lack of catering by talking more to pax (expec in J) and venturing up and down the cabin a couple of times offering more coffee, tea, water or Walkers shortbread (must buy some shares in that Company).

Unfortunately, the majority seem to provide a single paper cup of coffee etc and then retreat behind the curtain for remainder of the flight.

Yesterday, LHR-PRG, I 'dared' to venture behind the curtain to ask for a second cup of coffee. It all seemed just a little too much trouble for the two crew who were having a jolly time there, although after a disapproving look, I did manage to return safely to my seat, with mission accomplished.

Previous estimates were that catering (breakfast and evening meal the most needed) would be back across Europe network by end October. Now few CSDs will comment and some now seem to query whether it will return at all.

My patience is being strectched thin with BA s/h - will catering ever return as we used to know it? I still have J-class seat on most sectors, but there really is no benefit these days. Often just three rows with everyone packed in 2+3, while Y class has more space. And 'compensation' vouchers now seem to have reduced to just GBP5 unless you speak nicely to the ground staff.

Appreciate that the whole Gate Gourmet dispute and the carry on with bus drivers at LHR does little to help morale among people on the front line, especially CC. Just wish some would understand how frustrating it can also be for the SLF - and especially those who pay significantly more for (in theory) a higher standard of cabin service.

If BA revenues are largely derived from J-class seat sales, is it not in the airline's interests to do just a little more to ensure passengers do not vote with their travel budgets and move to other carriers. This has gone on too long.

To prove I am not another BA-knocker, I must finish by saying that my BA l/h experience is usually the opposite from above. Usually good or very good, with just one or two negative experiences. A lot seems to be down to the CSD and how he/she motivates the team. Usually end up chatting to CC in upstairs galley on 74s.

Providing you recognise they actually have a job to do and do not intrude too much, or play bull**** bingo with them, crew seem to be more than happy to chat over a tea or coffee. Not many airlines (VS apart) have crews that would be in the least bit interested.