PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SD memory cards for cameras. Formatting.
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2005, 15:34
Cornish Jack

Received 161 Likes on 102 Posts
I started a related topic re CF cards recently and have singularly failed to sort the problem
One 64 Mb card suddenly started to register in both my cameras as 'incorrect format' (or some such similar). With such a message, the camera WILL NOT format the card.
I had, some time ago, formatted one of my other cards in the 'pooter' (probablyW98) as FAT or FAT 16 and it worked perfectly well. Initially, attempts to repeat this with the new problem card produced an incorrect capacity indication, an attempted format process and a message saying that Windows could not complete the format. I tried this a number of times on four different computers all with the same result.
I recently purchased a USB2 CF reader and inserting the card in this, firstly, allowed it to read the full correct capacity and, secondly, to complete the format process. It is now recognised by My Computer as a removable drive at the correct size, BUT ONLY WHEN INSERTED IN THIS PARTICULAR READER I can transfer files and media and they are readable and recoverable. HOWEVER, if I put the card in the camera, it again indicates 'incorrect card' or suchlike. I can, therefore use it in my PDAs but not in my cameras .... isn't electronic technology wonderful?
In my previous thread I had reached the point of discovering CF Format - a program which supposedly can cope with these problems and solve them ,, but only if MS Active Synch is installed. I duly installed said software and tried again ... the card cannot be seen in ANY of my four different readers.
One wonders why such an, apparently, simple technology can be so little understood, written about or supported.
Exits left, grumbling.