PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Troops stranded in Basra by grounded planes
Old 29th Oct 2005, 13:56
LFFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 Blades,

You’re quite correct – if you turn off modern aircraft and leave them sitting around, they do indeed break as you start them up again! Civilian aircraft like the TriStar were never designed to be used and maintained the way we do so. It’s worth remembering that, when one of the C2 TriStars was “bounced” back in the 80’s, the other C2 flew the South Atlantic schedule on its own for 18 months without loosing a sortie! However, it was being serviced by BA at the time! So it really can be done!

Be careful when you talk about increasing the number of crews and working the aircraft harder to improve their serviceability. If you do that, you’d need a huge amount of additional flying hours – and that would cost big bucks! The fun detectors would soon realise that by using that logic, they could achieve the improvements you describe by reducing the number of aircraft without having to increase the flying hours!

You’re also absolutely correct about the spares policy. Unfortunately, in this case you are driven by MOD wide policy which (despite the best efforts of your technicians) may not be the best way of running your business. That’s why a new system is required – not just a shiny new aircraft!

From what I can understand, this is precisely what the FSTA project is out to achieve. The MOD’s contract with Airtanker will get civilians (who are the experts at supporting, maintaining and servicing modern airliners) to manage the process that provides you with serviceable FSTA whenever you need them.

From what I can see, the sooner you get FSTA up and running, the better it will be for everyone!

PS. - No, I don't work for Airtanker!!