PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WIHIH at KAL?
Thread: WIHIH at KAL?
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2005, 10:31
Austrian Simon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ukwannabe,

I am not sure, whether your question refers to rather recent incidents (that I am not aware of) or whether those incidents are a couple of years ago. Since year 2000 I don't see any incidents or accidents listed ...

Fact is, that Korean Airlines lost a couple of airplanes, amongst them two B747s due to serious pilot errors:

December 22nd 1999: A B747 freighter crashed near London Stansted, after the captain could not cope with one failed ADI and rolled the airplane to 90 degrees of bank, the copilot did not detect the attitude either. All 4 people on board killed.

August 6th 1997: A B747 passenger flight crashed on approach to Guam into the Nimitz hill, as the captain followed in invalid glideslope indication. 228 of 254 people on board were killed.

Other accidents attributed to pilot error or crew cooperation issues were:

April 15th 1999: a MD11 cargo plane took off Shanghai, when the captain believed the airplane had climbed too high above cleared altitude and abruptly threw the airplane into a dive, from which the airplane could not be recovered anymore despite cooperative efforts of both pilots. All 3 on board and 5 on ground were killed.

March 15th 1999: a MD83 overran the runway in Pohang, South Korea, in poor weather. No fatalities.

August 5th 1998: A B747 slid off the runway at Seoul after bouncing. No fatalities.

September 22nd 1994: A hail damaged B747 barely cleared buildings on takeoff from Zurich airport, when the crew did not observe gross weight limits and increased reference speeds following an initial repair of the hail damage by Boeing.

August 10th 1994: An A300 overran the runway at Cheju (South Korea) after landing high and fast, touching down 1773 meter past the runway threshold. The airplane departed the runway at a speed of 104 knots. No fatalities.

Simon