PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mass Resignation from KA
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2005, 03:29
the hidden

The demise of Dragonair is an on going process, brought about by not one isolated factor, but a steady stream of incursions upon peoples daily ability to perform in their job. The erosion of the work force and its ideology is all too apparent. Airline accidents (and corporate ones) are not a product of one simple misplaced action, but a whole string of ill judged decisions resulting in a final tragic event.

The demise of Dragonair started in earnest about 3 years ago. Dragonair was originally a job for the good old boys, well-paid, low flying hours, and most importantly holding the company in a reasonably high esteem. Oh how a few mis guided placements and corporate ideologies can have irreversible effects.

Dragonair strives for leadership from its captains but is leaderless as a company. Flight operations demand a very high standard from its pilots, but a manager holding no formal managerial qualifications or interpersonal skills is at the helm. Dragonair training is based on a pilot having extensive knowledge of SOPs and significant proven ability, but has training managers who have significant violations of SOPs when, and if, they fly.Within the last year we have had two significant overspeeds from a training manager who was no doubt berating his trainee on some esoteric point of knowledge hidden deep in the FCOM. Another head of training has had two recent fainting episodes, resulting from him running the training department from his hospital bed for 6 months. How ridiculous.

But I still have not got to the meat and bones of the problems engulfing expatriate employees of Dragonair at the moment. Basically Dragonair have a loyal and committed pilot force. But they abuse this constantly. Dragonair plead they have not two pennies to rub together, but continue corporate wastage on a scale that would be criminal if it were not so comical. After the SARs episode 2 years ago, aircraft were ordered to expand Dragonair out of its niche into the region. The board 2 weeks ago decided that Sydney was not such a good idea and lets expand into err... China! So now we have ETOPS aircraft, with full IFE, operating 1h55min sectors to Shanghai 16 times per day. Ever heard of all your eggs in one basket?

I¡¯m sick of all the bull**** in KA. From constantly changing SOPs that suit the whims of the moment, to the constant bitching about our contracts. We have an anti personnel department, full of snide looks whenever you have a simple question of point about the confusion way your finances are handled. We have a CEO committed to the Cathay board, a GMO committed to the CEO and his bonus. We have an unlivable lifestyle, changing work patterns, an ops center that is in disarray and overnight patterns based on impossible expectations. We operate into cities with smoggy visibilities not more than 2000m for 6 months a year. Inhumane pollution levels in Hong Kong are affecting our kids and personal lives. How many guys have been divorced or separated in the last few years about their deteriorating lifestyles?

I could go on how our CEO said we were all family and asked us to donate a month¡¯s salary to help out during SARS. Thank you they said six months later, but we have some rather important expansion to do, so sorry, you aint getting it back. Yes I¡¯m a sucker a looser a fool and a retard who should just accept his lot or clear off home. But i'm not laying down just yet, thank you. Corporate ideologies change like markets and currencies. Its just can I waste my life waiting for the next up cycle?

Last edited by the hidden; 30th Oct 2005 at 01:54.