PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS discussions (All Bases) - Merged
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2005, 18:43
OZcabincrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
andie74,

I appreciate your comments. You are very lucky to have gotten in with the attitude that it's not something you want to do forever. You were obviously fully aware when you signed the MAM contract, what the conditions of pay were etc re penalty rates etc, so that one comes back on you, but like what has previously been said, MAM casuals don't exactly get paid ends meat. Can i ask if you get paid the same in your previousl casual positions, why did you choose to become a F/A and be a way from home on trips etc, working public holidays, xmas, new years (which is all fully part of the job etc)? There are people dying to get in and would literally do anything to become a F/A, even if it is a casual position. I've worked with someone that applied and got knocked back 32 times before they actually got the position, so this is a job that people dream to have and make a career out of. A flying position is like no other position on the ground, you can't compare it and even though management have made some absolutey stupid positions, a lot of people do have loyalty to the company and a passion and take pride in their job and who they work for etc. So all in all, to me anyway, it is a big deal.

Being casual does have it's benefits etc and downsides as does being full time, but as previously said, there are A LOT of casuals who are seriously hanging out to get full time, hopefully it happens soon, i would just hate to see the competition for the amount of positions offered!

Good luck with whatever direction you eventually choose.

Oz