PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jan Smuts ... JHB Int ... ? Ekurhuleni Int ? Oliver Tambo Int ?
Old 28th Oct 2005, 15:52
cavortingcheetah
Está servira para distraerle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snoop

I greatly fear that you gentlemen have it all wrong. But, since you are all reasonable fellows, with one or two exceptions, I shall endeavour to enlighten you all.

I have it from the very highest authority that the international airport at Johannesburg - FAJS- Jan Smuts, which is what I shall always call it is to be renamed.

Do you sensibly propose to call it Oliver Tambo (whoever he might have been?)

FAOT ? (Sies?)?

( Covent Garden chippie: Two faggots, chips and mushy peas please).

No, surely not even the Aweful Nattering Classes could be so dense?

Jan Christiaan Smuts (1870-1950) is one of the great unsung Africa heroes.
He didn't like Cecil Rhodes too much and became an outstanding guerilla leader fighting for the Boers. Eventually he became a true friend to the Commonwealth and was made a British field marshall in 1941, when WW11 raged.
Perhaps more than any single man in any century; he made great efforts to wield together the British and the Dutch. It might be said, to his detriment, that he did little to tackle the racial problem. In such a small failing, he is no doubt followed to this very day by those in power in South South Africa who, really, should know better. A man of subtle and agile intelligence he was more honest than most, although his outwitted and dimwitted opponents would oft cast him as duplicitous.
But to return to the prospective nomenclature of the Johannesburg International Airport. My sources inform me that it is shortly to be renamed :
'The Lady Victoria Jane Buxton International Airport.'
Thereby, perhaps, placing an entirely new ramification into the concepts of international landing systems. What. Damnme, must fly off, to Barbados this time!
Toodle Pip.