PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BANKRUPTCY!! Pushed to the edge....
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2005, 12:37
Grass strip basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroggs I read and fully understood pilot owls post... he clearly has a lot of valuable things to contribute to the debate.... the thing that got my back up was the somewhat fillipant attitude towards bankruptcy that some other people seemed to be suggesting as an easy cure to all evils.

I think that Frank F has hit the nail on the head.... I am in the same boat as him and have worked bloomin' hard to avoid getting into debt whilst training... and then I see the "oh just get a big loan and then go bankrupt" attitude one or two people were alluding to as an acceptable approach... that does p*ss me off

From what I have seen and read in my (limited) experience many people straight out of school at the age of 18 have very little idea of the true value of money with many having never worked a full day in their lives. As a result I believe not enough thought is given to the consequences of getting yourself possibly £50-70k in debt with no guarantee of a job (a stance Pilotowl agrees with in his subsequent post).

In that context perhaps what would be more useful as a "sticky" would be a simple caculation showing the interest payments on a £50-70k of loan vs likely income in your first fews years as a junior first officer (if you are lucky enough to get a job).... then compare that to the cost of maintaining an acceptable standard of living (especially if you are then based in the south east).... hmmmm I did the calc and it was very enlightening

That may at least make 1 or 2 more people stop and think about the consequences of borrowing that amount of money and ending up as another person that unfortunately benefits from Pilotowls valuable insights

Last edited by Grass strip basher; 28th Oct 2005 at 12:55.