PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Closed ?
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2005, 09:47
flightleader

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Played the video three times and this is what I observed.

If it is a storng gust of wind ,it is likely to push the whole a/c drift towards the downwind side and lift the right wing a little.Instead,the tail sway suddenly to the left(downwind side) and wings maintain level. It looks like a deliberate ruddur input and cross control to keep wings level. This is done as per conventional a/c as the a/c is now below 100ft where the flight control system is in direct law.

The blown tyre is the no 1 tyre.( left move forward) If the cross wind landing technic is correct,this should be the last tyre to touch down. It would not have suffer excesive stress causing it to tear into pieces. A340-5/600 has a set of additional body boggy and the main wing boggies are tilted at large angle. All the weight and stress would have been absorbed by all the other tyres before no 1 touch down,right?

Would it be the case that wrong rudder input caused the tail to sway left resulting some dutch roll and further left wing down input made the left gear to touch down first instead of the right gear first. Plus the additional flight control deflection induces more drag causing the a/c to sink like a rock? Of course,gusty condition like that is definately bad as the A330/340 thrust lags badly in gust.

I don't mean to put the crew down,but this is just my observation and welcome all feed back and disagreement.