PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Honest Opinion Sort
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2005, 09:44
Wyler

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Pontius Navigator

Sorry, but you are WAY behind the times.

The FC Branch has changed beyond recogntion since the days of chasing Bears around the North Cape. The E3 force mission crews are manned extensively by FCs, No1ACC is deployed regularly, we have FCs on 16 Air Assault Brigade, an FC at the Artillery School, FCs on Aircraft Carriers, acting as BALOs in various parts...the list goes on. There is very little commonality between ATCO and FC, as has at last been recognised in the final demise of amalgamation issues (I was in Canada last Jan looking at this very issue).
The Canadians have done it and it is a disaster. To quote the OC of their combined Air Control School
'If you want to be involved in Air Battle Management and War Fighting, be an FC. If you want a posting close to Mom and Dad, be an ATCO'.
Regarding pass rates, the pass rates for Controller are low, agreed, but the overall pass rate is in excess of 80% because control is only one, small, element of what we do. In fact, it is not even a Primary OR secondary task. It gets all the attention because it has the highest profile and it is all the average FJ crew or ATCO see, so thats what they think we do and what they judge us on. I will be the first to admit, controlling aircraft in busy airspace under the differing services is not our strongest point. However, constructing an air/surface/ground picture using ground/air/static/mobile sensors and flashing it around the bazaars whilst and providing early warning and Battle Management Functions is!
I dare say you will attack this, along with others, but we shall see what the future holds. The FC Branch is not the one trying to carve out a future in uniform.

AMEN!