PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Career - To be or not to be...
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2005, 08:56
99Luftballons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all your input. I have decided to start my PPL to begin with (first lesson last Saturday). Once completed, I will have a holiday in South Africa and do some hour building via a cross country trip. Yes, I still want to fly those big shiny jets but have to be realistic at the same time.

A friend of mine (30 now) has been flying for CrossAir/Swiss for 10 years. He has been a Captain on the Jumbolino as well as a training captain. Now he is a FO on the 320. He is going to Dubai in January to fly the 330 for Emirates and has 4,500 hours under his belt. It is his wish to fly in South Africa eventually (being from there) for someone like SAA.

If he has 10 years and 4,500 hours experience and is still not able to get into SAA (mainly Airbus too), then I have to ask myself what my chances are going to be? Although tempted, another 10 years in the UK is not what I had in mind (no offense to anyone). But if SA or Oz are that competitive, it might be better to save the money and fly for fun by buying a plane with a syndicate. At least you get to live and fly in the country you want to settle in (SA or Oz).

Another friend of mine (also 32) has his fATPL and also lives in London. He has been looking for a job for quite a while now (around 2 years or so) but so far has not had any joy whatsoever. It just shows that it is a tough world out there and quite risky if you put that much money towards it.

Yes, I will always wonder and continue to look up, but everything has to be seen as a complete picture. Being married and 32 is not the same as being 22 and single.

Still - if I win the lottery, I will go all the way and pay for the ride.