PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Desperation has reached another level!
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2005, 21:35
ATP_Al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Doctor pays NHS to learn how to operate!'
I was all set for a career in medicine before I took a trial flying lesson, so let's continue the analogy.......

A medical student studies for 5-6 years. Given that higher education is far from free they have every chance of racking up £40,000 worth of debt, just like an fATPL wannabe. They then work 70+ hrs a week on a junior doctor's starting salary of £16-18k. With time it gets better but that's the way it is and the people who do it don't expect any different.

Meanwhile the student pilot does 18 months of full time training (or an equivalent amount of part time training over a longer period) and immediately expects a jet job paying £30k. It doesn't come, but instead of working their way up the wannabe gambles on buying a type rating.

It is all to do with expectation. A jet F/O job with a major airline is a senior position that you have to earn. Some people will always be lucky and get these opportunities early in their careers. There is nothing wrong with aiming to be one of those people, but if it doesn't happen to you then you have not failed or been wronged by the industry.

Instructing, parachute flying, glider towing, ferry flights, traffic reporting, air taxi et al are what you should be expecting for your first few jobs. There is nothing wrong with aiming for the big boys, but remember that the junior doctor I mentioned earlier probably doesn't expect to be doing open heart surgery six months after leaving medical school!

Al