PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Day in the life of a pilot" thread.
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2005, 19:27
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, it's OK - you can be offensive to him. He's a pilot, not a lawyer!

Hedges, I'm not sure that anyone here will answer your questions adequately, as the doubt you have will not be sated by others' experiences, only your own.

Briefly to answer some of your points, though not necessarily in order, this is a job unlike any other. Once you are within its clutches, whatever your field, you have to say goodbye to a certain amount of life that a 9-5er takes for granted.

You will never again be able to guarantee a given day off three months in the future. You will forget what it's like to have a regular crowd of weekend drinking buddies. You will be away for part or all of most weekends. You will not, ever, be able to promise someone you'll be at their wedding/funeral/christening/birthday. You will have the pleasure of explaining this to your wife/significant other/kids several times. And they'll still get pissed off when you don't turn up. Can it cause problems? It's easier to count the pilots who aren't divorced...

Yes, you can have something of a social life at work - mainly with people you've never seen before and will never see again. This is true whether you fly longhaul or shorthaul, but in longhaul you get to spend more than one night with these strangers.

And yet, after all that's said, I still love it. Perhaps it's because the only place that I can find people who understand my weird lifestyle is among others who share it. But, believe me, it will have an effect - a serious one - on whatever you take for granted as your social life now.

Scroggs