PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Letter in 'Flight' - unwarranted whingeing?
Old 26th Oct 2005, 14:00
Meeb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Letter in 'Flight' - unwarranted whingeing?

There is a letter in Flight International this week which needs comment.

Essentially the letter writer says that since being made redundant from a 'UK Regional Airline' he has been unable to find a new position because he is unable to 'pay for a type rating'.
He states he has many years Captains experience on a variety of turbo props. He also says he is on the 'scrap heap' at age 49, well that is quite frankly a very stupid thing to say.

I find this letter quite startling. Has this person even contacted any regional airlines in the UK? Paying for a type rating is the doyen of jet operators as these are the airlines most likely to attract the young newly qualified who will pay. Many turbo prop opertors are finding it hard to keep experienced f/o's to upgrade to the left seat, and so need DEC's.

I know for a fact that Loganair, flybe, Scotairways, City Star Airways and Eastern Airways are activly recruiting experienced turbo prop Captains at this very time. None of those employers requires up front payment for type ratings. They might require a move of base of course.

I think it is a poor show to write to a publication such as Flight International with what is essentially a very biased view. Now is a great time to be job hunting if you are an experienced Aircraft Commander, jet or turbo prop. Whingeing self centred letters to the press are not required, unless of course there is some other agenda, but if there is such an agenda, come out and say such.

Discuss....