PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas passes baton to Jetstar
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2005, 08:48
Jetsbest

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts
Vorsicht

As this is my first post on the subject I fail to see how I have 'again' demonstrated a lack of understanding. To respond to some of your points;

You may not have my contract (which, by the way, I've been under for less than 10 years), but I ask again why you appear to gloat that you can go SO much lower? You've been ripped off, apparently fairly willingly!

S/Os pax around at the whim of the company.. the cheapest way possible given the balance of pilots available, surplus seat capacity, CAO duty limits, schedules etc. It is NOT guaranteed first class (until >5 yrs service) but is upgradeable. S/Os I know don't bid routinely for paxing.. it's just scheduled that way and the company needs the crew to places. How else would you propose they get there?

When your company forces you to sit in slip port for three days for no credit other than the stick time it took to get there, then talk to me about inefficiencies. I agree that sitting around is inefficient, but your barb should be directed a QF for the schedules. How is it a pilot's fault? Or are you suggesting that you would happily do 4 sectors in 7 days but because it amounted to only 17 stick hours (yep, I've done it!) you'd sign-on again for days 8-9 for another 15 hours just to be able to call yourself efficient? In my current roster I have 22 days off out of 56. Not bad you say? I also have something like 28 nights out of my own bed. Again, not bad you say? But it adds to the equation that even a jetstar pilot flying international WILL NOT be able to fly 90hrs/month. Are you going to 'efficiency' yourself out af a life for a salary which is unlikey to fairly compensate you AND illogically and naiively undercut some long-established work practices.

Don't get me wrong. There is room for improvement to QF pilot work practices. The pilots, both as individuals and AIPA, have participated in some good ideas and real gains with the company. BUT, in my view, apparently sensible proposals have often been bogged in the company bureacracy as much as pilot reticence.

In the overtime discussion we find common ground of sorts. It cuts in on very long single-duty periods. It also cuts in for 'heavy' roster period cumulative duty, much like what I believe happens in Jetstar. It was implemented for a reason many years ago, and variations have been negotiated since, but I agree it's not a perfect system. The bottom line is that 'if you don't do the duty, you don't get the overtime'. So when you start doing 30 stick hours (confirm you know you have the gig?) in two sectors in 3.5 days with 3/4 night, dubious onboard rest, no overtime and an 'inefficient' slip, have a little heart eh? I trust you'll be glad you revoked with pride some benchmark (historically considered fair & reasonable?) conditions, in the name of selling tickets cheaper, while you age faster and feel like C#@P for your 24 hours home before you do it all again. The company may thank you at your early retirement, but I doubt it.

Finally, you say 'I would rather have your contract than mine, but i know that isn't going to happen, and i know that yours isn't going to last'. You're right there, especially if you keep selling yourself SO short. I agree that 'convergence' is a very likely outcome, so let's aim for QF-5% rather than gloat over QF-50%. PLEASE? I'm not trying to steal your job, but I'd like ALL QF-group pilots to have a practical access to ALL QF-group flying. It would really help 'engagement' (QF's word, not mine) and company success. I don't know yet how to achieve it, but wouldn't Jetstar pilots enjoy the (eventaul) choice of a mainline job?

Obvouisly we'll have to agree to disagree on many things. I still don't believe you need to cut yourself (or others) so deeply and cheaply. Good luck with it all.