PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2005, 18:29
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tandemrotor,
Although I haven't seen the book review, I believe it contains the paragraph:
The book outlines the views of a thoughtful, independent, and articulate man with no axe to grind. Mr Campbell inhabits the world that I do - one full of imperfect human beings who do their best and occasionally fail. It isn't a light read, covering as it does the various enquiries in some detail, but the effort is worth it. My advice is simple. If you've made your mind up about this crash and are seeking ammunition to support your view, this book is not for you. If you are interested in the views of an intelligent, articulate and empathetic man who has taken some trouble to research his subject it definitely is.

No one doubts the research undertaken by Mr Campbell. It is, indeed, thoroughly researched (when I asked the question as to how much access Mr Campbell had been given to their files, to assist his research, the MoD refused to answer). The disagreement I have with his findings is that, like the MoD, Mr Campbell promotes speculation and assumption as fact - totally missing the Absolutely No Doubt Whatsoever requirement. My own (untrained) review would be: Well researched book which offers a possible cause to the accident and, as such, undermines the MoD's long standing belief that two highly trained special forces pilots were grossly negligent.

Interestingly, in his obituary to Captain John Cook, the same author writes:
It is a bitter and cruel irony that John's last 10 years were devoted to righting the unjustified stain on his elder son Rick's character by two RAF Air Marshals who over-ruled the Board of Inquiry for the Chinook crash on the Mull of Kintyre, which tragically claimed Rick's life. No-one will ever be certain what happened to that aircraft which is why the current finding cannot go unchallenged and the terrible irony is that recording equipment, if fitted, could have clarified so much. A further tragedy is that this likeable and highly respected man didn't live to see this terrible injustice overturned

Well, that seems to be both sides of the argument covered then!

I have to say that I don't know the author of the review/obituary personally, and have no axe to grind with him. I'm just a little puzzled by his apparent argument for both camps in this ongoing injustice.

If he (or anyone for that matter) reads my review of his review/obituary and takes offence, please let me know and I'll remove it forthwith.

A response to The Log will be submitted in due course.
My best to you all, as always.
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook

Last edited by Brian Dixon; 25th Oct 2005 at 18:46.