PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I quit.....
Thread: I quit.....
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2005, 17:23
Jerricho
Ohcirrej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi again Squib,

I'll send more to you via email, but I'll just touch on this briefly here for others.

Spouses are automatically covered under the Skilled Worker program visa/permit we get for out postions, it's just than when you first arrive in the country, not many of the Immigration people know it. There is some code on the visa/permit that backs this up in their book of knowledge (and on the HRDC website), but they are unwilling to go in search of it.

My suggestion is to pay the $150 CAD (or what ever it is) for both of your permit before you get to Canada and obtain the "Yes I have paid for my visa/permit" receipt, and get the Immigration people to issue both your visa and your spouse's right there when you arrive. As I said, you are entitled to it being done at the time, but not many of the officers know about it.

We unfortunately learnt this after the fact and had to wait a couple of months for Mrs J's to come through. Also, depending upon what line of work your spouse would like to do, there is a requirement for a medical for some positions (teaching, nursing etc).

As to customs declarations, I've got the full gen on that as well