PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC/ IR what's the difference????
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2005, 08:24
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO, not being able to fly IMC in Class A airspace restricts your choice of aircraft, altitude and your routing, full stop. You wouldn't take a turbo prop low level because you can't file for an airway, think of the fuel burn!!!!

Apologies, I converted an ATPL(H) to and ATPL(A) which gave me a requirement for a 15 hour CPL(A) conversion, reduced by 5 hours when completed with a valid fixed wing IR, nominal course requirement 20, therefore 20-15=5.

You say that you wouldn't want to fly in a cloudbase of 200', quite correct most people wouldn't. Personally I wouldn't fly IFR if I didn't have to, nicer to see the ground! If, however, you have to get somewhere and the weather worsens drastically the the 200' MDA/MDH can help, I know I've used it (commercial requirements). If that doesn't really matter, why is it there? I think you will find that the IR is expected to be able to complete with a faster scan and tighter limitations.

I don't say that there is a two tier system, each to his own, but there has to be a differentiation between the two otherwise why do we have them. Otherwise why do I have to pay so b*****y much for my re-cats