PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA considers quitting shorthaul-BBC
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2001, 20:45
Peter Skellan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Who in the hell would want to work for BA these days?

Many other airlines offer similar levels of good training and safe operation on modern aircraft. Yet they don't suffer from the bitter infighting of BA. Cabin Crew and Flightdeck are at each others throats, everybody hates carrying Waterworld and they are all living in a slowly shrinking company. I'm sure the good time in BA are great - as they will be again in 5 years time. But the 5 years of misery as the downturn comes cancels that out.

I'd take a high morale and short time to command over any fancy final salary - retire at 55 pension scheme any day of the week. The low costs must be laughing their socks off at the moment as they offer exactly that. Its all very well saying BA pilots earn more on average. If you allow for a lot of that figure being LHR crews and the fact that living anywhere near the SE of England is hugely expensive they have less to spend each month than any Charter pilot living out of the SE with a Mortgage half the size.

I would never consider applying to BA and believe me - I fit right into their stated recruitment DEP profile.

I don't want to see a once great company down but the fact remains - from the outside they look increasingly rubbish to work for.

PS.