PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Terrain
Thread: Terrain
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2005, 09:37
ATCO1962

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work at a unit that utilises radar control in most of our airspace with the odd bit of procedural airspace thrown in to confuse the issue.

After many years of using both types of airspace at a number of units, I try as much as possible to assume the responsibility to ensure terrain separation for IFR aircraft in controlled
airspace. The reason for that is precisely because there are so many differences of opinion and rules around the world. If I don't think I can provide terrain separation for a pilot, then I will clearly place that responsibility on the pilot by issuing instructions that leave no doubt that the pilot is the one staying away from the hard stuff. I know some of you will say that that's too hard for your airspace, but we have the luxury here, at least usually, of being able to do so.

With regard to diversionary climbs out of non-radar units, where I was trained, we had VOR/DME sector altitude charts available so that you could issue departure radials to departures around inbounds. The understanding was that you, as the pilot, would climb visually to the minimum sector altitude and then outclimb any steps ahead of you until you were established on track at your MSA. Worked a treat. If you couldn't do that, a SID was used.

I absolutely agree that while under radar control and on a vector that the ATCO should be providing terrain clearance but that comes with a warning. It has been known for a controller, for whatever reason, to leave an aircraft on a vector through a centreline/final approach towards high ground without realising it. We have that problem partially solved here by an AIP instruction that tells pilots to intercept the final approach of the runway being used if on a heading unless specifically advised by the ATCO.

In all cases, situational awareness is a must and if you feel the hairs on the back of your neck go up, call the controller. I'd rather feel embarrassed than traumatised by an oversight. If you have any doubt at all, call, and if you feel you've gone below a safe altitude, start climbing without thinking about it. We can do the damage control later.

I'll be donning a cap now for the incoming that I know will be heading my way based on that last paragraph.