PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Terrain
Thread: Terrain
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2005, 09:09
Jazz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks DFC

I take your point. However I use the minimum vectoring altitude plate to let me know the basis on which the controller allows me to descend me below the MSA when being vectored. I took this as being, as the title suggests, the vectoring altitude limits.

I can't say I would be happy to take a direct in IMC on the basis of a vectoring safe altitude chart alone, particularly if an engine fails and you are not sure about reaching the safe altitude while on the direct track.

I did a bit of research on this, and found the following under ICAO DOC-8168 (Ops), chapter 3 "altimeter corrections":

"Note: the determination of the lowest usable flight levels by air traffic control units within controlled airspace does not relieve the pilot in command of the responsibility for ensuring that adequate terrain clearance will exist, except when an IFR flight is being vectored by radar."

I believe this clarifies it somewhat. Pilots can accept a direct clearance, once they know they will clear the terrain. As Clint would say, you have to ask yourself the question, do I feel lucky....

Regards

Jazz.