PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Day in the life of a pilot" thread.
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2005, 08:59
Jaime S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before the airline job

Since it will probably take you long to get to an airline (if that is what you want), think about your life right after graduation, too.

I am not trying to demoralize you, but just stating the dark facts of the business. Honestly.

Unless you know someone who can offer you a job, it will be hard to get one once you finish your studies.

If you are lucky, you will be towing gliders for free, that is, you pay for your own meals, transportation to the airfield and all. You can work for 10 hours a day or more, and fly just a couple of them maybe.
I used to sleep in the bar of the airfield I towed for.

If you decide to become an instructor, it will be expensive. You will have a hard time getting a job and, once you get it, wonīt get paid much.
You will fly a lot, by the way. Sometimes in summer up to 12 hours a day, 6 days a week.

All of the above are if you are lucky. Your best bet is to become a ground studies instructor. No flying, not well paid, lots of work...but you are in the aviation business, and you learn a lot if you try hard to do a good job.

Bare in mind that you have to renew your license each year, sometimes having to pay from your own pocket the flight time to get the renewal, and the renewal itself. Single engine, multi engine and IR. Very expensive.

Also, when you get an oportunity to fly, my opinion is that you should take it. Things like "ferry this one to the mechanics at whatever airfield. The mags are not working properly". Done that tons of times and itīs no fun, but people get to know you, and that is one of the most importat things in this business.

Study a lot after you are graduate. You donīt get to learn in school a fraction of what you need to know.

Just to let you know some statistics: I was in a school where it took 3 full years (12 months a year, 5 days a week ground, 7 flying) to graduate. There were 22 other lads in my promotion, and out of that only about 5 of us have a job where we fly. And I was out of school 4 years ago.

I must say I could not think of myself doing something that is not flying.
I have worked on many other things, always on a short to medium term basis, but nothing even compares to flying.

It is well worth the effort!!!