PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2005, 07:52
mazzy1026

Spicy Meatball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers John - sounds like you had a very successful few days, solo, nav and air law! Well done How did you find your first nav trip?

Well, further to my last post, Neil and myself did manage to get up into the Liverpool circuit. ATC asked us if we could wait an hour, as there were two other aircraft in the circuit, so we complied.

I have to say, that this could quite possibly be the most detailed circuit session I have ever seen - it certainly enforces the reason why you spend so much time in the circuit when doing your training. Anyhow, the first circuit went ok, and after being asked to orbit a couple of times, and extend downwind - we eventually got onto finals. It was then we were asked to go around, as another aircraft had caught us up on finals (however scary it may seem, it is a wonderful sight to turn around and have the bright lights of a 737 zooming towards you! So up we went for the go-around.

The next two circuits went fine, again with plenty of orbiting but it was the third that was the most tricky! When we were on finals (bearing in mind we were RW27 left hand) there were 3 other aircraft to join, another 737 on 6 mile final, and two other light aircraft, one approaching Jaguar (to join right base) and the other approaching from Helsby (to join left base) - so after we were told to go around, it was then when the controller said something along these lines:

"Go around with immediate RIGHT turn to join late downwind - I will call you back......"

So, we complied and then watched the 737 come in, and two helicopters (they took us by surprise). We eventually got onto quite a long final, to see a Ryanair 737 waiting for us on the ground

So, in summary - it was very good experience and the controller thanked us for our co-operation, to which we duly replied with a good "thank-you" for the help. Thanks to Neil also (DiscoChocolate) for letting me come along.

Regards,

Lee