PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA standard in USA?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2005, 19:52
fly_sd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m a newbie to this forum too and found this thread interesting. I’m British but live in San Diego (got hired by a local co while in the UK a few years ago, came out here to work and have been here since). I’ve always been interested in learning to fly but when I was in the UK was put off by the cost. Now that I live here I’ve decided to start learning. I was wondering once I get the FAA PPL whether it would be possible to rent and fly planes while in the UK on holiday and that lead me to this thread.

Looking at this topic it seems like if you qualify in the US conversion to a European license is difficult from what I read. However, like many are saying it seems to me that lot of this is to do with economics. I found Noggin’s comments interesting. I’m sure there are good and not so good pilots everywhere but I’m sure it is in the interest of the local flying schools to put out such stories as it may persuade more people to take the course locally. Needing 10 hours to learn how to use the radio?

I’m flying by getting membership at a local club. It costs around $50 for a 152 and $70 for a 172 and between $25 - $40 for a good instructor. Also right now I guess the US$ is weak against the European currencies. For those who are planning to come don’t forget that there is a new security clearance requirement for foreign nationals following sep 11. If you are going to a flying school that have a lot of foreign students they will tell you about it. I know there is an anglo-american flight school in El Cajon (Gillespie) that receives many students from the UK.