PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2005, 18:36
NT42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought I'd give another quick update on my progress!

I've had two lessons since my last post. The first we couldn't do circuits, so I had my first taste of navigation! Once I'd plotted a nice and simple route, we were off. It's nice to know that all flying isn't as hectic as in the circuit - I had forgotten that! Was fantastic to take in some of the Northumbrian scenery from the air! The lesson was only 45 minutes, but it gave me a nice insight as to basic navigation. After entering the Newcastle control zone, we orbited a while and made our approach. A nice, relaxed lesson was finished with a pretty good landing. (Lesson time - 45 minutes).

We were able to do circuits this lesson, but it was very windy. Luckily the wind was directly down the runway, so we could fly. Everything went as normal (except me managing to nearly get us lost on the taxiway!). As we took off I felt the real force of the wind, probably the worst conditions I'd flown in. It was perfectly safe, though and the circuit went as planned. My approach was good, and the landing ok. Although it seemed like it took 10 minutes to actually get onto the ground! Anyway, off we go again and on take off my instructor decides to throw an engine failure at me. Apparently I dealt with it fine, so we were back into the circuit. About half way down the downwind, he asks me if I want to do one by myself. To be honest I didn't, I wasn't happy with the conditions, but he just said, "we'll see how the next landing goes". It went ok, so I dropped him off, and I was on my own again (still air lawless!). But anyway it was all fine. I seemed to deal with the increasing traffic and poorer than usual weather conditions. Did one T+G and then called it a day. Was very happy to be sent solo again. (Lesson time - 35 minutes dual, 20 minutes solo).

So that brings us to today. I was in the club area, and even though there was no chance at all of flying, I thought I might as well pop in. During the drive there, I persuaded myself to do air law...could be a mistake, wasn't totally sure I was ready...but anyway, I took the plunge. Found it quite hard, some questions required a great deal of thought, some I had seen in the confuser. The majority I knew from extensive revision, though. Score: 90%.

Got lessons booked all week, now. So hopefully can finish solo consolidation (might as well do something during half term!).

Thanks,

John.