PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA standard in USA?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2005, 13:33
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
......And what about the airline captain and his mate who wanted to take an Archer III, at max UUW into Big Bear in the summer heat.......Hmm (about 9000' DA), luckily the "substandard" US instructor told them to bog off, or go at 3am......

Training is the same the world over. Some places are crap, others are good. I learned in the US, and have no problem flying there. I had an hours conversion at Bournemouth and had no problems there. In fact I have flown the length and breadth of the UK and have had no problems. I have flown to some wicked places in the states, small mountain airports, airports in valleys where you can camp under the wing, restaraunts with their own runways, islands, deserts, vegas, blah blah.......Now think of it the other way, if you learned at some small grass strip in the UK and fancy a flying holiday in the USA, how much of a checkout would you feel comfortable with if you were planning a flight into a small mountain airfield? I did this on my PPL, admittedly I wasn't trying to do it min hours (63 was final tally), but it only cost me about $5000 total for a JAA PPL....(my 1st solo X/C was to Palm Springs)

I like flying in the UK but love the freedom you get in the US....

Swings and roundabouts.....

(J - Get your ticket booked)