PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Career - To be or not to be...
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2005, 15:53
its_my_passion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I'd like to share with you, my story below.

I am unsure as to whether anyone will offer me any sensible advice, but I will write anyway, because I don't know many airline pilots.

I'm a 22 year old in Australia, who has been slaving their guts out for the past three years to finish a business degree. Its been really hard work; not only from the academic side of things, but also from never having any money, going into considerable amounts of debt in order to pay for rent, living expenses, course fees and textbooks. It all adds up. I've worked my ass off to get a credit average.

The thing is, is that I have always had an absolute passion for flying. I got my PPL when I was 17 and was truly hoping for an eventual career as an airline pilot. The problem is, is that my last two years of high school were an absolute disaster for me. My mum died whilst I was in year 11; and subsequently I wasn't able to concentrate much on my studies and thus got a shocking year 12 mark. I failed maths, and had to drop physics. I got a UAI of 50. Consequently, no metro uni in sydney would take me, and in order to pursue my university education I chose to move to a remote area 12 hours away from my home where they offered to give me a place in their business degree course. I've finally made it through it successfully, and have been offered a 50K job to start in January.

But, I regularly read the information on the QF DE and Cadet pilot schemes. If there was one thing I could ever wish for in the world, it would be to be working in commercial aviation. It is my absolute passion.

I am literally exhausted after putting so much effort into getting my uni degree over the past three years. But I truly long to fly as a career.

The question I ask is this:

I am truly considering going to TAFE part-time in order to get HSC maths and physics, so that I would become eligible to apply for the QF cadet scheme and ADF avenues of pilot training.

To those of you that have "made it", I would be highly appreciative of your advice. I am not sure whether it is worthwhile spending 2 or so years slogging my arse off at TAFE getting the required subjects of maths and physics in-order to simply become eligible to even apply for the QF cadet scheme. I'd have to additionally spend time tuning-up my aptitude skills for stage 2, and this would probably mean spending a lot of time doing ARCO books and probably PATS.

Is a career as an airline pilot really "an extremely rewarding one in terms of job satisfaction and self esteem?"

As a young guy trying to make the best way through this life, whilst not wanting to disregard my career dreams, - what do ya reckon I should do.

if you could please reply, either here or privately, i'd be extremely grateful.

Many thanks guys.