PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Career - To be or not to be...
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2005, 07:48
Counter-rotation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aloha 99LB,

This sort of question pops up often enough, and it is always hard to give advice without possibly
a) putting someone off what may be a very rewarding path
b) encouraging someone to make the biggest mistake of their life!

My thoughts for you (some of which have been covered already, repeated for emphasis):

Beware of underestimating the $$$$ cost (in terms of direct payment of actual beer tokens, and also the "opportunity cost") of following through on such a plan...
The rot that is firmly entrenched in the GA end of things seems to be expanding upward through the industry as a whole (just my considered opinion)...
AIDS (aviation induced divorce syndrome) is quite common amongst my peers, and my own relationship bears the strain of my lifestyle with considerable difficulty at times...

So that's a very "glass half empty" view I know, now I must balance that by saying:

I can see my own jet prospects thinning daily (not everyone makes it you know), but I still have excellent days - and not so good ones. So as jobs go I guess that's better than a job where a good day is an "average" one.
No relationship is perfect, and perhaps the test of chasing your dream will show you exactly where you're relationship is at.
Money isn't everything. I had a fortunate start, and I don't live like a king now, but I have everything I REALLY need.

If your dream is to FLY JETS, then proceed carefully, but be realistic and realise that it is in truth quite a significant gamble. It can however pay off magnificently.
If your dream is SIMPLY TO FLY, my advice would be to buy an ultralight, or a glider, or something similar, which (compared to powered flight in GA light aircraft) is very accessible. Believe me, your flying will be one hundred, no, one thousand times more fun when you can go WHERE YOU WANT, WHEN YOU WANT, WITH WHO YOU WANT. It's more "hands on" flying, and will be no less rewarding in terms of a challenge in achieving each new "level of proficiency".

Good luck with whatever you decide!

CR.