PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private pilots and gliding experience
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2005, 18:47
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that I have had instrument training for IR, I feel ashamed that I ventured into cloud in a glider with no professional (qualified IR instructor) instruction, and in a glider without a full set of instruments and questionable batteries!
Why ashamed? Did the experience kill you? Clearly not! Don't confuse powered aircraft wth gliders when thinking about how "dangerous" cloud flying, spins, highly banked tight turns at low level ect are. Different types of aircraft have different characteristics and ways of handleing. What is OK for one may be well outside the "safe" envelope of another. The pilotage of different types may require different skills but they have one common requirement ... a pilot who knows his/her limitations and the limitations of the aircraft!

I am trying to identify where I can best use my gliding experience in relation to the type of flying required for IR ratings etc.
Well if you've done a reasonable amount of soaring and where keen to learn, your MET should be pretty spot on, so surely that has helped?

SS