PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private pilots and gliding experience
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2005, 15:17
Paris Dakar

SS,

"It would be interesting to see it from a pilot going the other way for a change"

I'd held my PPL (A) for approx 4 years before I chanced upon a flight in a glider whilst on holiday in Cornwall.

The instructor explained that I could 'fly it as much as I liked' or I could sit back, enjoy the experience, and the views. Needless to say I was keen to show off my own skills as quickly as possible.

During the launch I handed control back to the instructor no less that 4 times as I was I had the glider swinging like a huge pendulum behind the Pawnee. 'Gentle input on the rudder dear boy' were the calming words from the instructor, yet despite my best attempts, I admit wholeheatedly, I was totally useless.

So I reverted to 'sitting back and enjoying' the view! I followed the instructor through on the landing, and I take my hat off to those who make it look so simple.

And just to add, I don't think I have ever met such a welcoming and fanatical group of flyers as the folk I met that day in Perranporth.