PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any skydiver drivers out there?
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2005, 11:50
STOL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Ex jump pilot here. Mainly Cessna 206/7 and BN2 Islanders. It seems these days it is inevitable that in northern Europe you will be expected to fly in IMC but my advice is don't be bullied and know your limitations. Flying IMC with a changing C of G can be challenging.

Had a few moments in my 1000+ hrs of dropping. The one that springs to mind is when a reasonably experienced jumper decided to sit up to watch the first group exit in a Cessna 206. When he momentarily sat down again he managed to hook some part of his rig over the P2 yolk and then tried to exit. I ended up with the column in my lap with full aileron deflection! I managed to disentangle him and recover with a height loss of about 4000 feet still IMC! Hysterically on landing another jumper/ Cameraman who was rear floating marched over and challenged me about the run in speed. Needless to say I was not a happy bunny. Other incidents include a first time jumper retracting the flaps on rotation and another opening the P2 door whilst trying to lift himself up to see out. I turned the handle round after that.

Datsun180B: There was an incident in your neck of the woods where a skydiver struck the tail of Cessna 208 Caravan and hung up on it after a premature opening in the door. The pilot bailed out, at I believe less than 1000 feet. He survived but unfortunately the skydiver didn’t. Can’t find the official report but found this at http://www.maximonline.com/grit/arti...icle_5170.html

1. 14,000 ft. The Cessna Caravan, carrying 11 skydivers and piloted by Barry Dawson, reaches its drop altitude and levels off. As a four-member formation team exits, a skydiver’s chute opens prematurely, sucking him out of the plane.

2. 13,900 ft. The diver strikes the tail of the plane. His parachute becomes entangled around the horizontal stabilizer, causing the tail to twist 45 degrees to the right and the Cessna to pitch 20 degrees downward. The pilot figures out what has happened and instructs all the remaining passengers on board to exit the doomed aircraft immediately.

3. 9,000 ft. The tail of the plane snaps off seconds after the last diver exits. The pilot transmits a Mayday, shuts down the engine, and prepares to bail. But as he releases the controls, the plane heads into a steep nosedive.

4. 9,000–3,000 ft. Massive acceleration and G-forces pin the pilot against the plane’s floor. Using seat belts as leverage, he manages to climb from the cockpit back to the cabin. Once there he discovers that the plane’s only exit, the roller door, has slammed shut.

5. 3,000–1,000 ft. The pilot manages to wedge the door open. He slips through and, with a final heave, escapes. Seconds later the Cessna fireballs into the ground.

ABO944: Headcorn parachute club operate an Islander in Southern England but only use it for students and Demo’s I believe. Their main aircraft are a Let 410 (foreign crewed) in the summer and a Turbine beaver in the winter. You could try Netheravon in Wiltshire where they have an impressive fleet of Jump planes and plenty of flying.
Full list of UK DZ’s at www.bpa.org.uk/

Some other useful links: www.diverdriver.com/ http://www.dropzone.com/

Happy day’s but always broke!

STOL