PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Career - To be or not to be...
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2005, 10:14
99Luftballons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizzard

Many thanks for your reply.

I guess your response just re-affirms that the market in Oz remains pretty tough. I imagine it is just as tough in South Africa (where I am from), if not worse. My wife (who is from Oz) and I, ideally don't want to hang around in the UK forever. Houses, weather and lifestyle are just a lot better in SA or Oz, however, to do this job there as a low hour pilot will be difficult if you are talking jets.

Do you have any plans going back to Oz eventually or are you staying put (or is this purely job dependent)? I did my medical at Gatwick yesterday and also sat next to a low-hour Ozzy pilot who has come here to graze the 'greener' pastures. By the way, did you enter directly as a captain at EZY?

I would also appreciate it if you could elaborate on the occasional boredome/frustration/heartbreaking bit you mention. I guess every job has its ups and downs and although I would LOVE to fly the big shiny jet, I don't want to get to the end of my training (hopefully find a job after perhaps the Astraeus 100hr line training on a B737 - i.e. another big chunk of money) and moan about it like almost every other person on Pprune. I still hope that 'happy' pilots actually exist and that they are seldomnly on Pprune as they have better things to do than constantly whinge.

As for my current job, I am in finance which I am able to continue in either country. The pay is not too bad and the hours too are good in my case. However, it is not really what I want to do for the rest of my life. I will be starting my PPL training this weekend and guess that I will decide the next step when this stage is complete...In the meantime, I will be collecting further info of your world.

If there are other pilots out there, I would appreciate hearing from those who work for UK operators but live overseas and commute.

Cheers!