PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - passwords, passwords, everywhere...
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2005, 18:43
Saab Dastard
Spoon PPRuNerist & Mad Inistrator

Received 280 Likes on 179 Posts
EVO,

I'm not sure if you are asking for private internet usage, home, work, or all?

I have about 10-20 passwords that I need to use fairly regularly - and I'm discounting all those that I need to use to manage corporate or client systems!

They are mostly secure - in that they have a mixture of upper and lower case and include numberic or non-alpha chracters.

Of the ones that are under my control, they are almost all variations on a theme that is meaningful to me - even if you put 2 together you would be hard put to work out the connection and guess any others.

I tend to use a single password for all admin accounts that I never share and is unlikely to be broken by brute force!

At home I have a user account for most tasks and a separate Admin account for Admin tasks - I also need to know the children's passwords (and the wife's) then I've got the firewall admin password as well.

I need only about 3 for the vast majority of my personal internet usage - email, banking PayPal, ebay. But any others are again, variations that might take a couple of attempts to hit if I don't often need them.

Where I am lax is in not changing these passwords very often.

I use a similar approach at work, where we have to change our password regularly - and incrementing by 1 is no longer an option. I never write them down though.

Interestingly I am trialling a SSO (single-sign-on) solution at work that negates the requirement for individual logins to internal corporate systems. Works fine, but is an in-house app.

SD