PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - aid flying??
Thread: aid flying??
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2005, 17:08
Oli EZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF

Hi Nick,

I've been looking into MAF over the last couple of years while ive been studying at Uni here in the UK, you will need a CPL with minimum of 500hrs TT to join them.. I know they are always in need of pilots and it is also true that they operate pretty much globally. Im sure you can find out more from their website though, or by contacting them directly. The director in the UK is a Mr. Keith Jones and you should be able to get straight through to him.

It is as stated by others, more of a serious long term vocation... usually for someone who has at least already paid back their copious training costs and got some financial security as it is a charitable organisation. The keep is reflected in that. They may well require you to have some av' engineering qualifications too, as you will be operating in pretty dicey environments.. whether its Africa or Mongolia.

If you can afford the training from OAT, Cabair or whoever - great, I could do with some folks like those! That status of training may well keep you in good stead for a better paid career path back in the EU/UK sector.. otherwise as previously pointed out by another member, you can get your CPL and other ratings far cheaper in S.Africa; I had a S.African tutor for part of my training and he was ace, so i think the standard of training there is pretty high lately.

Hope it all goes well for you, MAF is a great cause to work for!

Oli EZ