PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair loses court challenge to Labour Court enquiry
Old 20th Oct 2005, 13:02
African Tech Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Umm – I belive the bank has been trying to shut the mentioned web site for some time and failed – few courts have worldwide jurisdiction – suggest a Russian host might be good but there are other countries.
I’m suggesting we (Ppruners) can’t really vilify Danny for his actions unless we are willing to put ourselves in his position – I applaud whoever set the now the gagged site – but don’t applaud his backing down. If all those who feel the need to say things outside Danny’s current rules set up a site each hosted “off shore” MoL’s lawyers would have a hell of a time shutting them all down and eventually a cost / benefit analysis might just stop them trying.

Your mixing up subsidies and Country of Registration / Country of AOC issuance – the EU investigation into subsidies will continue regardless of these – but it’s the Irish Labour Court involvement that this thread is based on, my point being will they do a unbiased job or be swayed by MoL’s threats to simply move to another EU country – the setting up of [say] a Greek company and transfer of the planes ownership to it thus allowing the planes to be Greek Registered will take some lawyers about a week, the obtaining of an AOC a little longer and hey ho Ryanair is a Greek airline and the Irish courts have little say in anything anymore – oh and money now flows into Greece whereas now it goes to Eire.
(Greece is used partly because they are EU and JAR, partly because I’ve seen both planes Registered / DeRegistered and AOC’s gained there, so have a good idea how their system works – but I could use Belgium if you like having once been involved in the transfer of Ownership from “off shore” to Belgium on a Chinese Registered plane due to tax agreements – ie Belgian Ownership reduced taxes payable in China)

I would dearly like some B777’s down here – at least they’d take off unlike the 342’s that just keep going till the earth ejects them, and a few more long haul LCC’s would be nice – we have enough short haul LCC’s thanks.

Edited to say EU “Open Sky” policy means he would not need to lose routes - his main flights are out of UK with Irish planes this is because of the EU thus it would only change to out of UK with Greek (or other EU reg) planes – Air Scotland is doing exactly this (just not quite as profitably).

I don’t think I’ve indicated a “pro” or “anti” stance – simply put some stuff out there for thought – but if someone out there hasn’t seen a Court / Govt “cave” due to threats from big business (often behind closed doors) they haven’t really been looking.

Last edited by African Tech Rep; 20th Oct 2005 at 13:14.