PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Phenomenon of Mist and Haze
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2005, 13:18
Farmer 1

Combine Operations

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HWD,

Methinks you're about right. I was trying not to be too technical, so avoided terms like particulate and inversion. However, a front will bring some wind with it, and somehow or other the haze will eventually be dispersed. Visibility in haze can be very much reduced indeed, and it is definitely unpleasant for flying in, particularly into sun.

Radiation fog requires clear skies, to allow the earth's heat to radiate at night, but I believe a cloudy sky actually helps to extend the life of advection fog.

Advection fog is caused by a warm moist airmass flowing over a cold surface, which lowers the temperature of the air in contact with it to below the dew point. ("Warm" and "cold" are relative terms, of course, and the surface can be sea or land.) Whereas the maximum windspeed for radiation fog to form is, as I remember, eight knots, I was taught advection fog can form in winds of up to 20 knots. However, I personally think that upper figure can be much higher.

Advection fog is also known as sea fog, because it is more commonly found at sea. But not always; in a small country like the UK, it is not too improbable for such an airmass to work its way a fair distance inland. And when it does, you'll have plenty of opportunity to get the manuals out.