PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balpa
Thread: Balpa
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2005, 09:34
A Sayers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BALPA

Is BALPA worth it?
You may have read articles in Scottish national papers last year, in Private Eye last month and in BALPA's 'Professional Affairs Update' concerning me. The 'facts' in the press are of course not totally correct, but almost so. In due course you may meet me outside various Scottish Airports continuing to attempt to make my former employer acknowledge that it is not acceptable (or legal) to use hazardous chemicals without complying with safety regulations. ("Because the chemical was purchased locally it byepassed the companies procurement procedures ... risk assesment not done until after...." - CEO's letter, did not issue correct protective clothing - Enginering Superintendent's email)
When my accident happend and I was subjected to no less than four seperate investigations by my airline over seven months 'on my decisions' after I had been incapacitated in flight - I found the support of professional BALPA officials priceless. Robin, Chris and Mick thank you.
The legal actions are nearly ending their fourth year with no sign of closure. Management have been described by the courts however as "unbelievable, untruthful, not genuine, incompetant and maladministration". I was described as "a stickler for correct procedures and proper protocols" and "cool and composed under rigerous cross examination".
Although BALPA have let me down of late I am very grateful for the generous support I have received in the past. Their only failing is in leaving me out on a limb/poor communications after I was dismissed - stress/demorilisation requires professional support, the BALPA Pilots Help line just doesn't do the job.
Is it worth joining BALPA for pilots in GA? I would say so. Its true I was flying for a small airline, and I was injured while operating a scheduled BA service. The nature of the operation is more akin to GA though. The odds of having your employer behave as mine did, even destroying my personal belongings and falsely accusing me of theft is remote. It does happen to some people however and then you really need BALPA. Think of it as a form of life insurance. Glenn Stewart's suicide was incomprehensible to me until I was made the scapegoat for managerial neglect. Thanks to BALPA, friends and fellow pilots I am unlikely to choose Glenn's route, though it has been very tough over the last few years.
I commend BALPA to you.
Andy Sayers.

Last edited by A Sayers; 19th Oct 2005 at 09:52.