PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANYTHING having to do with Emirates Applications
Old 19th Oct 2005, 06:17
craic1510

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi again! Its been a while so I thought I would put a post in to give a little advice to all of you hoping to get through with EK. I have read a lot of the latest posts and the same questions seem to be arising.

BlueVal is correct in relation to the re-application for EK, after being unsuccessful through the interview stages. If you get to the final interview and don't make the break, it is 1 year before you can re-apply. If you make it through some of the elimination rounds but not as far as the final interview, you can re-apply after 6 months. Don't worry though...you do not get blacklisted if you don't get through. EK like people who make the effort to re-apply as it means you are really interested in the job. There may be any number of reasons why you were not selected, so try try again. I went through 2 open days and 2 final interviews before i got the job, but I made it eventually. Some people are luckier than other so keep your chin up.

EK want people with customer service experience. There is no exceptions to this. The job is solely customer service related, so they need to see that you can work with people, no matter what background they come from. You have to be able to work within a team, as well as an individual. You have to be a leader, as well as a follower. You have to be unbias to every situation that arises and take advice, but also be able to give your opinion without being too dominant. They look for all of these things throughout the entire process. They also want people with a little personality! We are not robots when working in the air - we are human beings, so let your personality shine through.

As for those of you that do not have english as a first language...yes it is necessary that you can speak english in such a way that you can be understood by all! We are an international airline, and have over 120 different nationalities working for us, so if you do struggle a little with your English, put in a little effort to try and improve it before applying. As long as you have a great resume, without any errors, and can get through answering the interviewers questions...you will be fine. Anyone that has english as a secong language is asked not to speak their native language at anytime during training or in-flight. I must admit I do find it a little off putting, when a few crew members insist on communicating in their own language, as it is harder to work as a team and get to know people, when u can't understand what they are saying

Guys for the open days, just remember these important points:
1. Be well groomed at all times. Wear appropriate clothing, girls - skirts slightly below the knee with stockings, business attire, hair tied up, minimal jewellery, nice make-up and not too much perfume! Don't go over the top! They want to see you..not a dolled up version of you
2. Resume with no spelling errors, highlighting customer service experience, languages and any school/university details.
3. Professional photos!! One full length in your business attire, hands and legs showing - big smile!! Then a passport sized photo of head and shoulders! try and get them done professionally - I promise you it will make all difference!
4. Don't be late, the earlier you get there the better! It will give you time to relax and prepare yourself. Use the time to get to know others, as it will be easier for you when it comes to the elimination tasks. You will have to help each other get through, by working together.
5. In the group tasks, don't be too quiet and for goodness sake don't be too loud. If others are being quiet, just include them by saying "...what do you think about this...would you like to add anything?". If you have an opinion about something or disagree with something, say it in a nice way like "...i do agree with what you have said about....however, I feel that you could also do it like this...what do you think?". Don't be overpowering...you all need to work together!!

I want to wish everyone all the luck in world. EK is a great company to work for. The lifestyle is amazing, getting paid to see the world, make new friends and become independant living in a new country. Guys...relax and think positively. All i can say is every job is what you make it! yes every company has its problems, EK included...but if you just make the most out of every day - you are on the way to a successful life and career!!

Take care

craic1510

...shoot for the moon...even if you miss you'll be amongst the stars! ....