PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual aviation jobs.
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2001, 17:09
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First coffin charter I ever did was in a C206, out of Moresby to a place whose name I can't recall offhand, but it was about an hour's flying (ie not all that far in a 206!) east of Port Morbid. The funeral group arrived quite late, amid lots of weeping and wailing. By this time, the weather had turned decidedly for the worse, but decided to go for it.

Got into the area but so much cloud around that I began to fear I might join the bloke in the coffin. Back to Moresby and body went into the comapny's storage freezer over night.

Next morning was bright and clear for a very early departure. I expected tensions to be running a bit high at the village airstrip as the body was expected the previous day. Anyway, landed around 0730 to a huge throng of villagers ... and a complete silence. It was innerving!

I opened the rear double doors and superintended the unloading of the coffin. Then all hell broke lose ... weeping and wailing and painted faces atop painted bodies carrying bloody huge axes and spears that were being waved viciously in the air, uncomfortably close to a wing of the plane.

Needless to say, I didn't bother to hang around after the delivery was complete.

The thing about delivering a body back to a village is you never know how the villagers will react. Often it's just the weeping and wailing ... lots and lots of wailing BTW. But, just sometimes, the folks are angry about the circumstances of the death and decide, somewhat irrationally, to take out their anger on the pilot and/or aeroplane.

While I had a pretty easy time of my first coffin charter, there was one, a few years later, where there was just too much scope for trouble. I'll post that one tomorrow night, rather than hog the thread right now.

Oh yeah ... had to fly pretty high on that first trip coz of the odd few big rocks on the route. Had all air vents open, plus a window!