PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual aviation jobs.
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2001, 10:52
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably nothing will equate to the 1935/1936 freight movements into Wau, PNG, when more air freight was moved on the Salamaua to Wau sector than the rest of the world, collectively.

The three Junkers G31's had holes cut in the roof through which were loaded cars, tractors, horses and complete disassembled gold mining equipment. A stirling task was also carried out by the Ford Trimotors, one of which, VH-USX (?) still partially survives in PNG.

Coming back to the present, I recall 500 kg loads of explosives into Ok Tedi and other mining sites, when a cabin boi was carried in the mistaken belief that, if anything went wrong, he could throw the explosives out before the aircraft got blown into orbit. On one trip I recall, a box of detonators was also (illegally) carried in the pilot's flight bag.

I don't recall who flew the charters, but on one occasion we won a contract to uplift 30 odd piglets from Cairns to the Highlands. The Bandit stunk for days after.

And for good measure: 9 POB in a B55 Baron: 19 POB in a C402: 32 POB in a Bandit.