PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety Management System Failure - Australia
Old 18th Oct 2005, 03:21
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Traitors in our midst?

No doubt all PPRuNe readers are very aware of the disclaimer stated very clearly by the organisers of PPRuNe:

As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, to elicit certain reactions.
I believe I can see evidence that a number of PPRuNe posters are trying to undermine Australia in relation to aviation. Many of the posters give the impression that they are Australians but could actually be from overseas – say, countries that don’t want Australia to succeed in aviation.

For example, it is fantastic to see that a substantial part of the NAS 2c changes have now been signed off and are going ahead. However it is disappointing to see that one of the cost savings and improvements to safety has been deleted after a campaign by people I can only believe are traitors to Australia.

Under the US system that we should be following, any aircraft can join on base provided it can be done safely. This saves the airlines in the USA hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars per year.

This was to be part of our Aussie NAS 2c, however due to a campaign by a number of people, even Qantas will not be able to join directly on base (as the US system allows), save money and improve safety. Under the new system they will either have to do 3 legs of a circuit or head out and do a 5 mile straight in approach. This will add tens of thousands of dollars (if not more) to Qantas costs and will not improve safety in any way.

Possibly other PPRuNe readers may like to comment. I just wonder how many traitors (as far as Australia is concerned) post here to try to do as much damage to our aviation system as possible so their own country has a competitive advantage.

By the way, if it is not a traitor from another country or from an overseas airline influencing this, what could it be? Why would anyone want to prevent (by law) Qantas and other operators doing a sensible approach and joining on base when aviators all around the world can do this? Does anyone have an answer to this?